Sunday, September 18, 2011

Butterflies


I decorated the wall above my bed with a flight* of butterflies.  When Isobel saw them she wanted to do the same in her room - but for her, we made it into a whole room experience......


We live in a rental property and I am nervous that even using removable hooks will damage the dodgy paint job.  If I hang one of my "real" art works they might be damaged when they hit the floor if the hook (or paint) fails.  But I hope a multitude of pieces of paper blu-tacked to the wall will not cause a hazard to either the paint, or to the person sleeping underneath if they fall off. 


In the next post I will show how we made some of these butterflies.

 
On Butterflies
What do you call a group of butterflies?  As an insect, a group would be called a swarm or rabble. Some research online also brings up the terms flight, kaleidoscope and flutter, all of which are delightfully descriptive, even if they may not be conventional entymological terms.

 
Butterflies to me are a symbol of new life and transformation.
 
"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world,
the Master calls the butterfly."
Richard Bach

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly,
but rarely admit the changes it has gone 
through to achieve that beauty."
Ê Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment